Monday, July 29, 2013

Hell in a Bottle

Neurontin.

Gods, what a monster.

This is the new pain medicine I've been placed on.  This little capsule has done more to me than for me.  I'm learning that I'm not alone.

First, I'm almost a chemical zombie.  Without fail, this pill takes over about an hour after taking the dose.  It knocks me flat for at least a couple of hours, then leaves me with almost zero energy.  Getting up off of the sofa is hard as hell.  Most of the time I fall asleep again, then wake up after another couple of hours.  My sleep schedule

When I wake up, I'm starving.  Not even the gastric bypass has broken this.  My weight has gone back up to just 30 pounds less than it was when I had the operation.  That's in less than a month's time.  I reported weight gain to my pain medicine doctor, along with the fact that I'd looked it up and found it as a side effect on the Mayo Clinic's website.  The pain medicine doctor had to call a hospital pharmacy to verify what I told him.  He found that it was true.

Now, I have one dose of Neurontin left, for Monday morning.  I plan on calling my pain doctor and asking him to put me on a pain medicine I've taken before - Talwin NX - and take me off of the Neurontin monster.  I only hope he listens to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment